Digital marketing has seen tremendous growth in practice with the increasing digitalization throughout the world and has secured its place as a top strategy. Today, digital marketing interview questions has become a full-grown segment of the marketing department that requires an individual budget and constant spotlight in numerous organizations. To keep pace with the changing market and stay competitive, digital marketing has become effective and result generating solution for many companies.
With the growth of digital marketing comes the need for people who can run and manage digital marketing campaigns for the companies. After witnessing its significant extension throughout the industries, digital marketing can be considered one of the hottest fields to rise in the online space and a rewarding career opportunity for people who want to have a locationally independent and creative profession.
When it comes to the availability of job opportunities, then you’ll be pleased to know that they seem endless as online marketing agencies, startups, banks, and various other companies, whether small or big, all are hiring digital marketing professionals.
However, to make a career in this digital marketing profession, you need to clear an interview test of the company you’ll apply to. Questions regarding digital marketing will be asked at every step.
As digital marketing is continuously developing and becoming more complex, companies are looking for smart, creative, bold, and tech-savvy people for digital marketers’ posts.
One shouldn’t forget that digital marketing is a quite broad discipline that has numerous sub-sections and roles to it. Such as Search Engine Optimization, Paid Marketers, Digital Marketing Executives/Managers, Content Managers, Email Marketing Managers, etc.
Now you might be nervous after reading all these. Still, no need to worry as in this blog, we’ve classified digital marketing posts into four broad sections and covered their important questions.
So that if the applied company tests you on the overall gist of Digital Marketing or directed towards one of the specific roles listed above, you will be able to answer them confidently.
Classification Of Digital Marketing Post Into Four Broad Sections:-
- Digital Marketing Interview Questions & Answers
- SEO Interview Questions & Answers
- PPC/SEM Interview Questions & Answers
- Social Media Interview Questions & Answers
- Digital Marketing Interview Questions And Answers
- Q1. What do you understand by Digital Marketing, and why do you want to pursue a career in this field?
- Q2. How would you categorize Digital Marketing?
- Q3. What are the most efficient and useful Digital Marketing tools?
- Q4. What makes you believe that Digital Marketing will be more advantageous to our company than Offline Marketing?
- Q5. Do you think that Digital marketing also has some limitations, and if yes, then how would you overcome them?
- Q6. Digital Marketing Vs. Branding, What’s the difference between them?
- Q7. How are you going to make our current business situation better through digital marketing?
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Digital Marketing Interview Questions And Answers
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM) / Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Digital Marketing Interview Questions And Answers
- Q1. What do you understand by Pay-Per-Click (PPC)? And how would you make it more efficient?
- Q2. What does Quality Score mean? And which are the major factors that determine the Quality Score?
- Q3. How many Ads at least should be there in an Ad group?
- Q4. Can you name the three required parts of a text ad?
- Social Media Digital Marketing Interview Questions And Answers.
- Q1. What makes social media marketing important for a business? And according to you, What are the most successful social media platforms?
- Q2. What will be your strategy to make a social media campaign successful?
- Q3. What does content marketing mean? And how do you decide on what content to publish?
Digital Marketing Interview Questions And Answers
This section requires your utmost attention as questions regarding digital marketing will surely be asked in the interview, no matter whether you’re an expert in marketing or just a raw graduate. We’re going to look at some of the generally asked interview questions based on specific facets of digital marketing, including technical and personal ones.
Q1. What do you understand by Digital Marketing, and why do you want to pursue a career in this field?
Whenever this digital marketing interview question comes in front of you, make sure that your definition of digital marketing is not vague and complex, influencing your impression negatively. Before the interview, search for a simple definition on the internet or in any book and learn it so that you will be able to answer this question confidently.
When it comes to the second part, remember, “Honesty is the best policy.”
Be honest and excited while expressing why you are interested in making a career in digital marketing and the challenges you’re looking forward to facing. Below are some points that you can include in your answer:
- The rate at which digital marketing is growing throughout the world indicates that it has a great scope in the present and future, and that’s why you are interested in making a career in it.
- The fact which makes digital marketing more interesting for a person is that it offers an opportunity to explore both the marketing and technological world.
- The whole field of digital marketing is evolving at a very rapid rate, which makes it a very dynamic and enjoyable career option for you.
Q2. How would you categorize Digital Marketing?
There are two main categories of Digital Marketing that you’ll have to mention:
- Outbound Digital Marketing
- Inbound Digital Marketing
In outbound marketing, companies push their messages to a wider audience using traditional approaches such as direct mail, cold calling, radio ads, television ads, trade shows, and telemarketing. Whereas, in inbound marketing, rather than sending out messages to uninterested people, companies try to attract those who are already aware of their products and those who are actively searching for solutions online, using content marketing, blogging, SEO, opt-in email marketing, and paid ad campaigns.
Q3. What are the most efficient and useful Digital Marketing tools?
Any person who has completed a digital marketing course or read about it might know some commonly used tools such as Search Console, Google Analytics and Keyword Planner, etc. The interviewers also ask this question to the interviewees for the advanced digital marketing post, so it will be better for you to make a list of some of the industry professionals’ common digital marketing tools.
Q4. What makes you believe that Digital Marketing will be more advantageous to our company than Offline Marketing?
When it comes to interviewing beginners who want to pursue a career in the field of digital marketing, this remains one of the commonly asked questions by hiring companies. As most people express their interest in marketing while giving interviews, companies want to know then why particularly online marketing.
Well, the answer to this question can be based on your knowledge and preferences; the followings are some points you can include:
- Digital marketing makes the whole process of interaction and getting in touch with customers a lot easier for companies.
- With the use of digital marketing, companies can connect with a larger audience and expand geographically easily.
- By using digital marketing, Companies can make their products and services information more widely available.
- Digital marketing is more cost-effective than offline marketing as it helps in reaching out to a larger audience without draining the company’s resources.
- With digital marketing, companies can track and analyze their companies speedily, which ultimately helps them grow the business and understand the business better.
Q5. Do you think that Digital marketing also has some limitations, and if yes, then how would you overcome them?
Always remember, “Nothing is perfect in this world,” and this theory also applies to digital marketing. Apart from having advantages, digital marketing also has some limitations.
Around 40-50% of the world still doesn’t have access to the internet, and cyber crimes and security issues are on the rise. It can be a costly affair for the companies initially as it includes the expenses of software, hardware, etc.
Indeed, online marketing is dominating currently, but offline marketing hasn’t fully gone extinct yet; it’s still present in the market and appealing to many people. Therefore, you need to make sure that you’re not fully biased toward the digital world. You will have to answer this question with a balanced approach.
Q6. Digital Marketing Vs. Branding, What’s the difference between them?
Generally, many people aren’t able to properly answer this question and get confused, so you should keep all your points clear before the interview and avoid any kind of overlapping.
Digital Marketing is used to promote products and services by using a set of tools, processes, and strategies. In this technique, companies try to communicate the desired message to a targeted audience in the hope that they will take some desirable actions. On the other hand, branding is all about shaping a brand. It defines what the company is all about, its aim, its values, and what makes it special and unique. It’s a company’s key brand elements, which include its logo, website, and brand style guidelines.
Where digital marketing helps you to get people to engage with your business for the first time, branding encourages them to keep coming back to you from time to time.
Q7. How are you going to make our current business situation better through digital marketing?
One mistake that some candidates commit while answering this question is they spill out a strategy that they’ve learned in a book or the course, which is not good as every company has its specific needs. Therefore, it will be advisable for you to first understand the company in advance, assess the competitors, look out for strengths and make a list of opportunities.
The next step is to take into account whatever the input interviewer is giving you and note down the major points. Ask for some time so that you can draft a strategy keeping in mind all these segments. Remember, a good answer can guarantee you a job, so plan it carefully.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Digital Marketing Interview Questions And Answers
Q1. On-Page vs. Off-Page SEO, What’s the difference between them?
Accessibility, page load time, optimized content, keywords, title tags, etc., are some of the factors that determine the ranking of a website on the search engine webpage, and On-Page SEO is the act of optimizing these factors so that the ranking of the website can be improved. It’s the stuff that you can change and influence on your website.
While on the other hand, Off-Page SEO focuses on improving its presence and visibility on the internet. It includes tasks such as guest blogging, social media marketing(like/share), creating contextual backlinks, questions & answers(Quora), etc.
Q2. What’s your strategy for optimizing our website ranking and enhancing the traffic on it?
You must be thinking that this question is quite similar to the last question asked in the digital marketing’s basic questions section. However, there is a difference. Unlike the last question, now the interviewer asks you a specific question that will cover only the organic ranking segment of digital marketing, so keep it in mind if this question comes in the interview.
Here you can start with a brief explanation of your plan, like how with SEO, you’re going to enhance the user experience and engagement and how it will lead to higher conversion rates. To make things better, you can also specify some common mistakes to avoid while optimizing a website.
Q3. How do you analyze the keywords? What keywords would you like to pick?
When it comes to SEO questions, any person can easily expect this question as “keyword” is the key element in SEO digital marketing, and most of the process depends on it; therefore, for the hiring company, it’s important to know your knowledge on keyword analysis.
The following are some points you can consider while answering this question:
- As to analyzing which keywords will work best, a person has to first look at the stats of specific related keywords. Therefore, you can mention keyword planner tools to look for the right keywords and their search volumes.
- While analyzing keywords, your only focus shouldn’t be on just their search volumes, as mostly keywords with higher search volumes can cost a huge amount of money. Therefore, along with search volumes, look at the competition level and the relevancy aspect as well. For example, for a person who owns a non-veg restaurant in south Mumbai, a keyword like “Restaurants in Mumbai” with a high search volume is less relevant and expensive. But a keyword like “Non-Veg restaurant in south Mumbai” will be more relevant, may be less expensive, and lower in competition as well.
Q4. Which tools would you recommend for keyword analysis?
There is an endless number of tools available in the market to help a person with keyword analysis. Therefore, to make this easier for you, we’ve categorized keyword research/analysis tools into two sections:
- Free Tools
- Paid Tools
In Free Tools – You can consider Keyword Planner Tool, Search Console, Google Autosuggest, and Google Trends.
In Paid Tools – You can consider SEMRush, Ahrefs, and MOZ Tools.
Well, many of the free tools are from Google and are quite good.
Search Engine Marketing (SEM) / Pay-Per-Click (PPC) Digital Marketing Interview Questions And Answers
Q1. What do you understand by Pay-Per-Click (PPC)? And how would you make it more efficient?
Pay-Per-Click (PPC) is one of the digital marketing models used to boost traffic on websites. In PPC, advertisers pay a certain amount of fee whenever someone to the publishers clicks the ad.
Now, let’s talk about making our PPC marketing campaign more efficient. There are many ways of doing it, such as optimizing ad groups, and relevant keywords, enhancing quality scores, reducing overall cost, and the inclusion of negative keywords. One of the major aspects of the SEM campaign is timely account reviews and analysis. The important thing that any PPC Analyst should keep in mind is to have proper attention to Ads and Keywords that are generating good returns on investment.
Q2. What does Quality Score mean? And which are the major factors that determine the Quality Score?
Quality score is the quality evaluation of the overall experience that your ad and website’s landing page provides when users search for your keywords. Ads with higher quality can lead to lower costs and better ad positions on the web page. It’s one of the important factors that determine the Cost-Per-Click (CPC) of an Ad. In the ad auction process, the Quality score is multiplied by the maximum bid to determine the ad rank.
Below are a few of the important factors that determine the quality score.
- Landing Page Experience
- Expected Click-Through-Rate (CTR)
- Ad Relevance
Q3. How many Ads at least should be there in an Ad group?
With Ad groups, You will optimize the overall performance and analyze the performance data to understand which of your messages resonates best with the audience.
There should be at least 3 Ads in every Ad group.
Q4. Can you name the three required parts of a text ad?
Every Text Ad has three parts:
- Headline Text
- A Display URL,
- Description Text.
Social Media Digital Marketing Interview Questions And Answers.
Most companies already understand the importance of social media marketing. However, to test your understanding of this section, they can include this question in their list. Below are some of the benefits of using social media marketing that you consider while answering this question:
- Enhance Brand Awareness
- Increase engagement with the customers
- Improve brand loyalty
- It makes customer satisfaction healthier
- Increased traffic and SEO rankings
For the second part, you can list out the most appropriate platforms for the companies you’ve applied to, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Pinterest, etc., that have the potential to help them in achieving the goal and expand the audience.
Being a digital marketing expert, you can expect this type of question in your interview. You’ll be the one responsible for planning and executing the social media campaigns. If you’ve any previous experiences, you can also share them, like how you managed the previous social media campaigns and your approach.
While expressing your strategy, make sure that you have a goal, a proper method to achieve that goal, and analysis formulas to evaluate the performance.
Q3. What does content marketing mean? And how do you decide on what content to publish?
In content marketing, marketers give their full attention to creating and publishing valuable, relevant. Regular content to draw and retain their targeted audience, which ultimately leads to profitable customer action for them.
For the second part, be a little creative while sharing the brands’ insights and the ways to publish them. You can also explain how content helps educate and add value to its audience: constantly nurturing to become loyal customers.
One thing you have to make sure of is you must do enough research on the company you’ve applied for the job before the interview and at the same time, know some areas where the company can improve so that a better impression can be made. It’ll also be better for you to appreciate some of the company’s work that encouraged you to work for them.
Good luck with your Digital Marketing interview.